Shane Chapman Rare Books
                                Books Bought, Sold & Booksearch
For Sale Bought Booksearch Contact Us About Us Home

All - Books Wanted - We Buy Books

Sell Books in Boultham - Lincolnshire

We are Urgently Seeking to Buy Books in Boultham - and the County of Lincolnshire.

As Leading Specialist Book Dealers we are able to Pay the Very Highest Prices
For Quality Single Items and Collections.

Please Contact Shane

Telephone - 01522 - 797400
or e-mail
Shane@shanechapman.com


To arrange an Appointment for us to visit you , or
You can visit us with your books should you so wish by Appointment.

Permanent Interests & Wants include

First editions , Fiction , Non fiction , Antiquarian , Children's & Illustrated.

All Ephemera and Ephemeral items including
Old Photographs , Maps , Postcards,
Prints & Paintings.

Complete Collections and Libraries bought and cleared.

Please quote or offer anything you feel may be of interest to us,
Not sure ? then please call Shane on 01522 - 797400


Boultham ( which is pronounced Boot-ham) is a large suburb of Lincoln in Lincolnshire.
Which can be found to the south-west of Lincoln
between New Boultham and Bracebridge Heath.

To visit by road take the A15 south out of Lincoln.

To find the origin of Boultham we have to go back to the time of the Romans when a group of potters are known to have worked the local clay in kilns, these kilns are known to have been built in a long row - remains of these kilns have been found in and from
the Carholme Racecourse to Swanpool, the fields south of the Pike Drain, Boultham Park, St. Helens Churchyard, the Allotment sites east of Boultham Park Road and Hall Drive.

Further confirmation as to the existence of these kilns has been confirmed with hours of archaeological research and the discovery of numerous artefacts.

Cremated remains complete in an urn were found in a kiln flue in the fields south of the Pike Drain.

Some years ago a perfect Roman grey-ware pot containing fine cremated remains was unearthed in St. Helens churchyard by a gravedigger.

Archaeological research shows this pottery industry to have been at its peak in the third and fourth centuries AD.

The transformation of Boultham ( Boot-ham ) from a hamlet, village and then into a large suburb began towards the end of the 19th century, when houses were first built on Spike Island.

This was the beginning of New Boultham.

These houses with Waterloo Street being the main street are still today called New Boultham, though now this is regarded as being the oldest part of the parish and most of the original houses have long since gone, ( there may still be four remaining ).

This whole area in recent years has been heavily redeveloped and today sadly the Tritton Road extension runs through most of it.

As the population increased the need for a church to serve these new inhabitants became a must and so St. Matthew's Mission was built in 1912, a hall was to be added at a later date.

The Rev. W.W. Leeke ( later to be Canon - Lincoln Cathedral ) became the Rector of Boultham circa 1911, his long influential and productive incumbency of fifty-three years was to see most of the major transformations in Boultham.

The old village of Boultham had once consisted of not more than than twenty-five houses, the hall and the rectory which was to be found across the street from the church.

But - New Boultham had arrived and in the 1920s the parish was taken into the City of Lincoln.

The building of the Swanpool Garden Suburb was to add a sizeable group of houses in another area of Boultham.

Between the wars more dwellings and more people came to fill up Boultham Park Road and the numerous streets off it, such as the Hunt Lea Estate, Rookery Lane, Boultham Moor, the Lakeview Road Estate and Skellingthorpe Road.

The population continued to grow and as such St. Helen's Church, which dates back to around 1200 AD was by now far too small to serve its increased number of parishioners, further adding to this was its location, which was by then too far away from the housing developments.

So the need for a closer place of worship became obvious, a solution was needed and in 1921 a site was acquired on Skellingthorpe Road and here St. Helen's Hall was built, this was to stand until it was demolished in 1967 and during its life served the growing population as a place of worship, a sunday school and a venue for other social activities.

The need for another new and much larger church was ever more pressing and clearly something had to be done.
At last, on the 16th of September 1939 a foundation stone for the Church of the Holy Cross was laid , the building was consecrated by the then Bishop of Lincoln on the 21st December 1940.

A public competition for the design of this new church had been judged by Sir Charles Nicholson, the winner was Mr. H.T. Rushton an architect from Birmingham.
This new church (Holy Cross) was constructed by Messrs T. Bowman of Stamford.

In tradition St. Helen had discovered the true cross on which Christ had died, this new church was to be dedicated in the name of the Holy Cross.

The rise in population and building was to continue after the second world war, rapid growth was to be especially noticed in the Hartsholme Estate area, where the dual purpose church and hall of St. Mary Magdalen was built and dedicated in 1958.

A new Church Hall was opened in 1967 when the old St. Helen's Hall was demolished.

By now the population had risen by thousands along with the numerous new houses had come the need for new schools, shops and other places of worship.

Along Skellingthorpe Road can be found the Parish Church of the Holy Cross, the Moorland Park Methodist Church which was opened in 1952 and the Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter and St. Paul which was consecrated in 1968.

Further down Skellingthorpe Road just inside the boundary of the Hartsholme Estate is Prospect Hall a church of the Brethren, which was originally opened in 1955, and has since been extended.

When the Church of the Holy Cross opened, sadly St. Helen's Church which had always been the centre of parish history for more than eight-hundred years was to close its doors for regular worship.

St. Helen the Patron Saint - promoted the cult of the cross, Helen was the person - according to reliable historical and recorded sources, made efforts to find the true - original cross on which Jesus was executed.

Boultham Park which covers an area of approximately 20 hectares can be found at the southern end of Lincoln bounded by Boultham Park Road and Rookery Lane.

The Boultham estate originally belonged to the Ellison family.

Coulson Road Drain, Swanpool, Doddington Road Ballast Pits and Lakeview Road Estate formed the boundaries of this estate which was in total approximately 1,210 acres or 489 hectares.

Richard Ellison of Sudbrooke originally gave the estate to his son, Colonel Richard Ellison on his marriage in 1830.

The hall was rebuilt and very much enlarged during 1874 and was often thrown open to the public for events such galas and fetes.

Upon the death of Colonel Richard Ellison in 1881, Boultham Hall was passed onto his son Lt.Colonel R.G. Ellison who died in 1909, after his death the hall became vacant.

During the First World War the hall was put to good use as a convalescent home for soldiers, after the war most of the land was sold to developers for new housing.

The remaining grounds ( 20 hectares ) were to be finally secured by Lincoln City Council in 1929.

The grounds were laid out as a public park and the hall demolished in 1959.

Today the park serves as a green and pleasant oasis within the City of Lincoln, offering numerous facilities, which include bowling greens, tennis courts a putting green and of course the lake which is very popular with local anglers.


Nearby can also be found
Lincoln, New Boultham, Washingborough, Skellingthorpe, Cherry Willingham,
Fiskerton, Jerusalem, Harby, Doddington, Swanpool Garden Suburb,
Heighington, Eagle Moor, Branston Booths, Eagle, Whisby, Swallow Beck,
Bracebridge Heath, Branston, Hykeham Moor, Bracebridge Low Fields,
Thorpe on the Hill, North Hykeham, South Hykeham, Waddington, Canwick,
Carlton-le-Moorland,

Booksearch
We also provide a professional and comprehensive search service.
We can help locate a single book or assist in building a collection or library.

Should you have any books which you may consider selling
Please click here to get in touch


 

Shane Chapman

Highlight Books      Site Map      Terms      Resources